Friday, 28 June 2013

My Green Haven

This week I thought I would share some photos of my happy place, my haven, my craft studio.
Before I put up the first photo, I have to say how blessed I am to have such an amazing space. I have earned a living through editing craft magazines for more than a decade now so this space is both my creative haven, and oft times, my work office.

                                 I love it and have really enjoyed decorating it.
             Of course, I have filled it with my other passion - antiques and collectables.

The colour scheme is my favourite combination of green, black and white.
Most of the room was done on a budget, with items built by my wonderful husband or found on cleanups or at garage sales.
My hubby, John, built me the desk and book cases and my dear late father in law (also John) who was a printer, gave me the printer's tray cabinet.

This white cupboard was the score of the century. It is an old Simplicity pattern cabinet and cost me a whole $10. It holds absolutely masses of stuff. All my photos, sprays, ribbons and flowers and so much more.
Beside it is my inspiration pin board which I made on the door to my paper and magazine storage room. (Will add photos of this room later)
I have added some decorative bits and pieces since these shots and will add them here soon.
But I am one very happy lady when I am in this room.
Just a few of my collectables.

Some more of my printer's tray drawers.


My glitter station.

There is more to show but I will save that and closeups of some of my organisational ideas for another time.

I truly love to spend time in this room and I'm even happier when I have others to come and play too. So if you want to join me for some stamping or a card class do let me know.
Thanks for visiting

18 comments:

  1. Having seen this room in real life I have to say I adore it.I am such a green girl too :)
    I would love to have all those printers trays very special indeed,i only own one tray they are very hard to get your hands on.Thankyou for sharing with us all xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen,
      I know I am really blessed to have this room. It is my sanctuary. You will have to come and play soon. Dx

      Delete
  2. Donna, what a beautiful creative space you have, and SO BIG! I love your long desk. I also love your pin board with the black & white ribbon - that is gorgeous, and very inspiring. Thank you for sharing xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Al,
      The pin board door was lots of fun to make and I love that I see what's on it every time I walk into my stoor room. Will show photos of that sometime soon (when it's tidy).
      D x

      Delete
  3. So beautiful, and calming, Donna - I can see why it is your "happy place"! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine,
      It is calming (some of the time) not so much at the minute as I'm working on some freelance articles for a magazine and getting ready for card class and Stampin' Up! catalogue launch this weekend. It looks more like a bomb site, but that's OK -- this too shall pass. ;)
      D

      Delete
  4. oh wow Donna, what a spectacular room to create in, just gorgeous. And the printer trays, oh lord, what a lucky lady to have those. And you have a room for your paper and magazines...lol...oh my you must have just a few..lol. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Narelle,
      I do confess to being a bit of a paper hoarder, just love the stuff and as for my magazine collection that is an occupational hazard. I'll share photos of that room next time it is tidy. (May be a while) te he.
      D

      Delete
  5. WOW! I am in awe of this space. I'd like to be you when I grow up!! My other job is as a librarian, so I am also super jealous of your card catalogue drawers (I presume that is what they are next to the printers drawers!) :) Beautiful space - I'll be checking back to see more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Jenny. Yes I think the wooden drawers were library catalogue drawers.
      As a collector of vintage bits and pieces, library catalogue drawers feature heavily in my "one that got away story", About 15 or so years ago I saw a HUGE double set of catalogue drawers (floor to ceiling) that even had pullout work surfaces half way up. They were a big investment even then so I went home to talk to my husband and make a decision. We decided to go for it and next morning I as at the shop bright and early. The owner was serving someone else and when it was my turn and I said I was back to buy the drawers the lady looked sheepishly at me and told me the woman who she had just served had bought them. I was heartbroken and have never been able to stop thinking about them. I've never seen another set and even if I did they would be well outside my budget now. But I do love the small set I have and they store soooo many supplies. Do come back again. D

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful space you have, so beautifully organized and lots of room to "play." I really enjoyed my visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole, I do so love to "play" in the studio. Please visit again.

      Delete
  7. LOVE the printer drawers!!!! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra. Those printers drawers are one of my most prized possessions.

      Delete
  8. Wow! I love the long desk surface and open shelves above and the green is such a happy color. My favorite might be the glitter station--it's just so pretty!
    Thank you for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Tamatha, Thanks so much for visiting. Feel free to visit often.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Donna, WOW very impressive work desk, soo...oo long and so organized!
    Thanks for sharing your creative space!
    Have a great week!
    Your newest follower,
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Diana,
    Thanks for visiting my blog. I know I am really really spoilt. That big long desk isn't even my work space. I have another big desk as well. (Will have to photograph it some day (when it is next tidy, perhaps its best not to hold your breath).
    Please visit again.
    Cheers
    Donna

    ReplyDelete